Abuba The Alien
Location: Computer room
Language Focus: Game vocabulary (things in the street)
Skills Focus: Receptive – Reading
Game: Abuba the alien
Download and print a copy of the Abuba the alien worksheet for each learner.
- Hand out dictionaries and the worksheet for learners to work through.
- Learners complete page 1 of the Abuba the alien worksheet (exercise 1 – 3).
- As you monitor help with some of the dictionary work by having your own copy and working backwards on the pictures.
- As feed back describe one of the objects for learners to guess.
- Do exercise 4 on page 2 as an open class activity. If you can have the image above displayed. To help learners ask questions like:
“Which of the objects can you see in the street?”
“What do people in films use a pin to open?”
6. Choose a volunteer to read the instructions for exercise 5
- Learners play the game in pairs. They may use an online dictionary. One learner plays the other completes the work sheet (change roles every 5 minutes or so).
- Learners use the answers from exercise 4 to complete the first part of the game (screenshot above).
- Then encourage learners to continue playing but to write the game instructions for the next two screens.
- For fast finishers they may play an extra screen as long as they continue to write the instructions/ walkthrough.
- Stop the activity when all learners have completed the next two screens.
- Learners make their own vocabulary / picture activity for ‘The dog’ and ‘The manhole’ stages of the game (see Abuba the alien worksheet page 1 as an example).
- For homework learners play some more of the game and write the instructions / walkthrough.